Wednesday, August 24, 2011

For my daughter on happiness ...


My daughter, Dominique is preparing one of her self-initiated presentations - this time on HAPPINESS.  Her friends and family were asked for their understanding of happiness.  This was my letter to her.
_______________________
Dear Domsy

I have given you the first word that came to mind while I was folding washing and I know you don't want me to get spiritual but these are my thoughts on happiness ...

The first word that comes to mind is freedom - being free to live, to be yourself and to reach your potential.  But happiness is more than than that - happiness is ultimately experienced through our connection to people and through these people to the Creator. My greatest joy in all my life was having two daughters who I could call family and friends who knew me behind my masks.  Many people who have great wealth are unhappy.  Some of the poorest people experience the greatest joy because of their connection to friends and family.

Happiness is often a mixture of feelings like peace, excitement, contentment.  Little children only know happy and sad.  The good feelings are happy and the bad feelings are sad.  We don't change much actually.  I have taught you much about the ego from the Kabbalah.  When we get what we want we are happy.  When we don't get what we want and desire even if it is good for us we are unhappy. But the ego is only happy for a while -then it wants more - and eventually more does nothing for happiness.  It's like chocolate cake - when you had enough it tastes horrible and you get sick.

The purest form of happiness comes from a thing called bestowal - to give for the sake of giving.  To get pleasure only from seeing another person's pleasure.  This happiness can never end - it goes on and on.  This happiness is why the Creator created us - so that it would be possible to give and give and give. Our journey to bestowal - to being like the Creator is the whole study of Kabbalah and this is the meaning of your life - to become like the Creator and the only way to get there is through connection with others. 

One heart ♥ One Soul ♥ One Love
LeChaim Domsy!

No comments:

Post a Comment